I Was Just In An Auto Accident, What Should I Do?
You were just in an auto accident and now you need to know what to do. Unfortunately, many individuals that are involved in an auto accident do not know what to do. Here are some suggestions from the experienced auto accident attorneys at James McKiernan Lawyers:
- Check for obvious injuries and call for emergency medical help, if warranted 911
- Notify law enforcement 911. A police report is a “must-have” document
- A POLICE REPORT as it may be the only proof the accident is not your fault
- Do not make any statements
- Only speak to the police or medical personnel
- Do not allow the other driver to talk you into settling things on your own
GET THE FACTS
- Take pictures and/or video of everything using a camera or your Smartphone. (vehicles involved, the surrounding areas and any obvious injuries you sustained)
- Gather all pertinent information from the other driver using a camera or your Smartphone take photos of the documents (Driver’s License, insurance policy, license plate, etc)
- Locate any witness before they leave the scene & get their contact info
- Get a recorded statement of witnesses using a voice recording app on your Smartphone
- If you are injured go to the ER immediately
- Do not speculate about your physical condition (in some cases it may take 24-48 hours to feel any pain due to the adrenaline from being in an auto accident)
- Do not, under any circumstances, speak to the other driver’s insurance company
- Don’t talk to anyone about the accident; especially on social media (Do not post accident photos or comments about the accident)
CALL US FIRST
Contact JAMES MCKIERNAN LAWYERS for a FREE CONSULTATION (888) 442-2918 or (800) 200 HURT (4878)
- We will recover a pain & suffering settlement for you
- We will arrange medical treatment on a lien
- We will contact the insurance companies
- We will obtain the police report
- We will recover your lost wages
- We will arrange for a rental car
What To Do Following An Automobile Accident
If you are involved in an automobile accident due to someone else’s careless driving, you are not alone. Last year 4.4 million Americans were hurt and more than 38,000 were fatally injured on the roadways. As reported by the National Safety Council the three largest causes were alcohol (30.8%), speeding (30.0%), and distracted driving (26%).
Your actions following an accident can make a huge difference in terms of safe-guarding your right to maximum compensation for your losses. The team of San Luis Obispo automobile accident attorneys at James McKiernan Lawyers, with upwards of 30 years experience in personal injury cases, recommend the following :
Immediately following the incident:
- Check for obvious injuries and call for emergency medical help if warranted.
- Notify law enforcement. A police report is a “must-have” document. Do not allow the other driver to talk you into settling things on your own.
- Contact your insurance carrier. Do not, under any circumstances, speak to the other driver’s insurance company.
- Take pictures and/or video of everything. This includes all the vehicles involved, the surrounding areas and any obvious injuries you sustained.
- Be certain to secure all pertinent information from the other driver.
- Gather the other driver’s information and request a copy of the police report.
- Don’t talk to anyone about the accident, especially on social media.
- Never speculate about your physical condition.
- Refrain from saying “I’m sorry”.
It may take some time for injuries to present themselves. If you feel you need immediate attention, go to the closest hospital right away, then, always follow up with your personal physician.
After the incident
Keep a detailed record of any and all medical appointments, time missed from work and any sick time or wages you lost. Keep receipts for any out-of-pocket expenses. Remember that anything you say, to anyone, may be used against you. Do not post any details or comments about your accident or injuries on social media.
Once you are involved in an accident, it is always in your best interest to seek advice from a personal injury lawyer. The James McKiernan legal team has experienced personal injury attorneys standing by to assist you in the process of seeking reimbursement and compensation. Don’t wait, call us at 805-618-2245. We are ready to help.