Planning for a Safe New Year’s 2018
What is your New Year’s Resolution? You still have plenty of time to think about it, as well as what your plans are for ringing in the New Year. But as you consider these things, you should also be aware – New Year’s is one of the most dangerous days of the year. During the New Year’s season, it is estimated around 95 million Americans will be on the road to visit family and friends. Almost half of all car accidents on New Year’s Eve and New Year’s Day are caused by drinking and driving.
That said, here are some tips to help you keep yourself – and your friends and family – safe during one of the biggest celebrations of the year.
- It goes without saying: don’t drink and drive. Plan ahead before you head out for the evening. If you have a friend who does not drink and is willing to be the designated driver, that’s great! If not, there are dozens of different options to get around without driving drunk. Call an Uber – you don’t want to spend the beginning of the year in jail, or worse.
- Don’t binge drink. Pace yourself. Not only will this allow you to keep your wits about you throughout the evening, it will help prevent a terrible hangover. One standard drink per hour is usually a good pace.
- Alternate alcoholic drinks with water.
- Eat before you drink and snack while you drink.
- Don’t fall for myths about how to sober up faster. Coffee and greasy food might sound like good ideas after drinking, but nothing can actually sober you up except time.
If you are injured by a drunk driver on New Year’s in San Luis Obispo, our law firm can help.
Pedestrian hit, killed on Foothill Blvd. in San Luis Obispo
The California Highway Patrol is investigating a deadly crash that happened late Wednesday night in San Luis Obispo.A 42-year-old man was hit and killed by a vehicle at W. Foothill Blvd. and O’Connor Way, CHP says. The collision happened shortly after 10 p.m. The San Luis Obispo County Sheriff’s Office had deputies on scene as well. Police say the driver was unable to avoid the man, who was in the middle of the road. Another pedestrian was hit and killed in the same area in February of 2016.
If you have lost a loved one due to someone’s wrongful conduct or negligence in Lompoc, CA, you may have a right to a wrongful death claim against the negligent party. James McKiernan Lawyers encourages anyone who may find him or herself in such a difficult situation to contact an experienced Santa Maria personal injury attorney at 1-800-200-HURT (4878) for a free case evaluation. We only get paid if you get paid. Our offices are conveniently located throughout California.
At James McKiernan Lawyers, We work tirelessly to deliver accurate news about the California accidents that impact our readers and clients most. Although our goal is to keep people as informed as possible, we’d like to note the information we aggregate is obtained from a wide variety of nonaffiliated secondary sources. These include but are not limited to: Law enforcement agencies, press release, News articles, and websites.
As we publish and share accident information, we make all possible efforts to ensure its correctness, but for the aforementioned reasons, we cannot guarantee that our content is completely accurate. Although we generally respond to inquiries and requests to change, update or amend the content and articles that we publish, we cannot promise that we’ll be able to do so within a given time frame.
The articles and blogs that we share or post here and on social media are designed to serve solely as general information. They should not be taken to constitute legal, medical or any other form of express or implied advice. Similarly, they may not be applicable to your personal circumstances, situation or case. Any information referring to specific laws, statutes or legal actions reflects legal principles, but the laws that apply to you may differ based on your situation, jurisdiction or other factors.
CALL JAMES McKIERNAN LAWYERS (800) 200-HURT (4878) for a FREE CONSULTATION
What To Do Following An Automobile Accident
If you are involved in an automobile accident due to someone else’s careless driving, you are not alone. Last year 4.4 million Americans were hurt and more than 38,000 were fatally injured on the roadways. As reported by the National Safety Council the three largest causes were alcohol (30.8%), speeding (30.0%), and distracted driving (26%).
Your actions following an accident can make a huge difference in terms of safe-guarding your right to maximum compensation for your losses. The team of San Luis Obispo automobile accident attorneys at James McKiernan Lawyers, with upwards of 30 years experience in personal injury cases, recommend the following :
Immediately following the incident:
- Check for obvious injuries and call for emergency medical help if warranted.
- Notify law enforcement. A police report is a “must-have” document. Do not allow the other driver to talk you into settling things on your own.
- Contact your insurance carrier. Do not, under any circumstances, speak to the other driver’s insurance company.
- Take pictures and/or video of everything. This includes all the vehicles involved, the surrounding areas and any obvious injuries you sustained.
- Be certain to secure all pertinent information from the other driver.
- Gather the other driver’s information and request a copy of the police report.
- Don’t talk to anyone about the accident, especially on social media.
- Never speculate about your physical condition.
- Refrain from saying “I’m sorry”.
It may take some time for injuries to present themselves. If you feel you need immediate attention, go to the closest hospital right away, then, always follow up with your personal physician.
After the incident
Keep a detailed record of any and all medical appointments, time missed from work and any sick time or wages you lost. Keep receipts for any out-of-pocket expenses. Remember that anything you say, to anyone, may be used against you. Do not post any details or comments about your accident or injuries on social media.
Once you are involved in an accident, it is always in your best interest to seek advice from a personal injury lawyer. The James McKiernan legal team has experienced personal injury attorneys standing by to assist you in the process of seeking reimbursement and compensation. Don’t wait, call us at 805-618-2245. We are ready to help.