Planning for a Safe New Year’s 2018
What is your New Year’s Resolution? You still have plenty of time to think about it, as well as what your plans are for ringing in the New Year. But as you consider these things, you should also be aware – New Year’s is one of the most dangerous days of the year. During the New Year’s season, it is estimated around 95 million Americans will be on the road to visit family and friends. Almost half of all car accidents on New Year’s Eve and New Year’s Day are caused by drinking and driving.
That said, here are some tips to help you keep yourself – and your friends and family – safe during one of the biggest celebrations of the year.
- It goes without saying: don’t drink and drive. Plan ahead before you head out for the evening. If you have a friend who does not drink and is willing to be the designated driver, that’s great! If not, there are dozens of different options to get around without driving drunk. Call an Uber – you don’t want to spend the beginning of the year in jail, or worse.
- Don’t binge drink. Pace yourself. Not only will this allow you to keep your wits about you throughout the evening, it will help prevent a terrible hangover. One standard drink per hour is usually a good pace.
- Alternate alcoholic drinks with water.
- Eat before you drink and snack while you drink.
- Don’t fall for myths about how to sober up faster. Coffee and greasy food might sound like good ideas after drinking, but nothing can actually sober you up except time.
If you are injured by a drunk driver on New Year’s in San Luis Obispo, our law firm can help.
Boy Hit on Crosswalk By Truck While Riding His Bicycle
“It simply didn’t sit well with us that this young man was allowed to be run over in a crosswalk, sustain serious injury, and not receive any compensation for his loss.
DK Global’s video brough to life our main argument – that the Defendant’s perspective gave him ample notice to see the Plaintiff, and avoid this incident altogether.
That is why our client is now enjoying a settlement that will take care of him for years to come.”
Caleb J. Anthony
James McKiernan Lawyers
What To Consider When Hiring An Accident Injury Attorney
If you’ve been injured in an accident that was not your fault , you may be entitled to compensation from those liable for your injuries. You should contact a personal injury attorney, and hire one that is right for you and your situation. You definitely want to consider the following prior to hiring an accident injury attorney: (more…)
What are Contingency Fees for Injury Cases and How Do They Work?
Many people face financial hardship as a result of serious injuries resulting from accidents. Even when someone else is at fault for causing their injuries, they may think they cannot afford a lawyer. However, a Lompoc personal injury attorney takes cases based on contingency, which allows you to get legal help without having to pay money out-of-pocket to cover legal fees.
Contingency-based fees mean that lawyers get paid only when they are successful in recovering compensation on behalf of the client. They can recover compensation either through verdict or settlement. California Legal Ethics Rule 1.5:100 requires lawyers to charge reasonable fees and enter into a fee agreement with the client prior to providing services. Some of the factors that attorneys must base their fees on include:
- Fee amounts proportionate to the value of services rendered
- Fees relative to the sophistication of the attorney and the client
- The novelty and difficulty required to perform the service properly
- Results obtained
- Time and labor
- Informed client consent to the fee
When lawyers charge fees based on contingency, they carefully evaluate the case and their prospects of being successful ― otherwise they may end up not getting paid for their work. From your standpoint as a client, when a San Luis Obispo accident injury law firm agrees to represent you, you can be reassured that the firm is confident it can win your case or obtain a fair settlement.
James McKiernan Lawyers has a proven track record for handling injury cases and the selection of James McKiernan into the Million Dollar Advocates Forum indicates he has been successful in obtaining million dollar verdicts for some of his clients.