Do I Need to File a Third-Party Injury Claim after a Drunk Driver Hits Me?
One of the most dangerous things you can be exposed to as a driver is another driver under the influence of drugs or alcohol. It doesn’t matter how safe you are driving or how adherent you are to the laws of the road; a drunk driver can come from anywhere, at any time, and cause serious damage to your property and your body. If you have been injured by a drunk driver, you may wonder what legal recourse you have to cover your damages. Here is a short primer of what to do if you are struck by a drunk driver.
- First things first, take care of your health. Seek medical attention even if you do not believe you have been seriously injured. Some injuries, like traumatic brain injury or soft tissue injuries, may not manifest right away.
- Document every aspect of the accident. Police will likely take care of much of this process, but having your own evidence is crucial to your claim. Photographs of the damage and your injuries, as well as contact information of witnesses, can go a long way in helping you secure damages.
- You will probably receive a call from the drunk driver’s insurance company shortly after your accident. No matter how cordial or sympathetic the representative is, the bottom line is that he or she is trying to get information out of you that might make it harder to pursue your claim. Do not tell them anything about the accident or your injuries. If you are offered a settlement, you should decline until you have spoken to an attorney.
- Perhaps the most important step – contact a car accident attorney as soon as possible. You need a trusted lawyer with experience in the field of drunk driving accidents to help you receive the best recovery possible.
Boy Hit on Crosswalk By Truck While Riding His Bicycle
“It simply didn’t sit well with us that this young man was allowed to be run over in a crosswalk, sustain serious injury, and not receive any compensation for his loss.
DK Global’s video brough to life our main argument – that the Defendant’s perspective gave him ample notice to see the Plaintiff, and avoid this incident altogether.
That is why our client is now enjoying a settlement that will take care of him for years to come.”
Caleb J. Anthony
James McKiernan Lawyers
What To Consider When Hiring An Accident Injury Attorney
If you’ve been injured in an accident that was not your fault , you may be entitled to compensation from those liable for your injuries. You should contact a personal injury attorney, and hire one that is right for you and your situation. You definitely want to consider the following prior to hiring an accident injury attorney: (more…)
What are Contingency Fees for Injury Cases and How Do They Work?
Many people face financial hardship as a result of serious injuries resulting from accidents. Even when someone else is at fault for causing their injuries, they may think they cannot afford a lawyer. However, a Lompoc personal injury attorney takes cases based on contingency, which allows you to get legal help without having to pay money out-of-pocket to cover legal fees.
Contingency-based fees mean that lawyers get paid only when they are successful in recovering compensation on behalf of the client. They can recover compensation either through verdict or settlement. California Legal Ethics Rule 1.5:100 requires lawyers to charge reasonable fees and enter into a fee agreement with the client prior to providing services. Some of the factors that attorneys must base their fees on include:
- Fee amounts proportionate to the value of services rendered
- Fees relative to the sophistication of the attorney and the client
- The novelty and difficulty required to perform the service properly
- Results obtained
- Time and labor
- Informed client consent to the fee
When lawyers charge fees based on contingency, they carefully evaluate the case and their prospects of being successful ― otherwise they may end up not getting paid for their work. From your standpoint as a client, when a San Luis Obispo accident injury law firm agrees to represent you, you can be reassured that the firm is confident it can win your case or obtain a fair settlement.
James McKiernan Lawyers has a proven track record for handling injury cases and the selection of James McKiernan into the Million Dollar Advocates Forum indicates he has been successful in obtaining million dollar verdicts for some of his clients.