Involved in a Civil Dispute in Central California?
Our San Luis Obispo Civil Litigation Lawyers Can Act on Your Behalf
Before you become entangled in a legal litigation mess, call James McKiernan Lawyers for effective, persuasive legal counsel. Civil litigation involves a dispute between two or more parties that seek monetary damages rather than criminal sanctions. If your case involves a motor vehicle accident, medical malpractice, premises liability or other types of personal injury, you may need a civil litigation attorney. Business, commercial and employment disputes may also require litigation.
When you first meet with a San Luis Obispo civil litigation attorney at James McKiernan Lawyers, you and the lawyer will break down the specifics of your case. We can help determine if you have a civil case worth pursuing and then we can perform an investigation of events. This may require reviewing your medical and work history, interviewing witnesses, gathering documents and investigating the facts. Once the basis of the lawsuit is formed, the litigation process follows these steps:
- Pleadings. As the plaintiff, your attorney will file a complaint to commence the lawsuit. The defendant’s attorney then has the opportunity to respond to the complaint. Pleadings also include motions to strike, dismiss, amend or change the venue.
- Discovery. During this stage, the attorneys exchange relevant information, using discovery devices such as depositions, interrogatories, request for production and request for admission.
- Pre-trial. Before the trial commences, attorneys retain expert witnesses, advise clients and attend pre-trial conferences.
- Settlement. Most civil litigation cases are settled before reaching trial. A settlement can be accomplished through direct negotiations, mediation, arbitration or other forms of dispute resolution.
- Trial. In the event your case reaches trial, the lawyers will select a jury, offering opening statements, take witness testimony and finally provide closing statements. Trials can last days, weeks or even months. The outcome of a trial lies in either in the hands of a judge or jury.
Your trial attorney in San Luis Obispo can lead you through the entire process and explain every step of the way.
How Does Litigating Business Disputes Work?
You may hire business disputes attorneys in San Luis Obispo if you have a conflict with a business partner, employee, other business, shareholder or other party related to your business. Common business claims encompass many types of contractual and tort claims, such as:
- Breach of contract
- Breach of fiduciary duty
- Intellectual property infringement
- Unfair competition
Have Questions? Contact Our Office Today for a Free Consultation
If you have been harmed or wronged by another, do not hesitate to contact one of the qualified San Luis Obispo civil litigation lawyers at James McKiernan Lawyers. Our knowledgeable, experienced attorneys have the negotiation skills to help maximize your award. Contact us today online or at 805.242.5325 to schedule an initial consultation at no cost or obligation.