San Luis Obispo Burn Injury Attorneys Fighting the Toughest Cases
Severe Burn Injury Cause Permanent Disfigurement?
San Luis Obispo Burn Injury Attorneys Explain Types of Serious Burns
According to Medline Plus, burns can cause swelling, blistering, scarring and lead to infections. Some severe burn injuries can even result in shock or death. Burns can rank amongst the most painful and traumatic of catastrophic personal injuries. If your burn is due to the someone else’s negligence, then they could be liable for your injuries and damages. You may have the right to make a burn injury claim and take them to court. If you are pursuing this route, then you should seek the aid of San Luis Obispo burn injury attorneys.
James McKiernan Lawyers houses a team of dedicated, passionate burn injury lawyers ready to review your case. We possess over 30 years of experience in dealing with cases involving personal injuries caused by negligence or the wrongful conduct of another person. In over 20,000 cases, our attorneys have obtained over $200 million dollars in verdicts and settlements. Burns can cause permanent damage and a lifetime of pain and suffering. Our San Luis Obispo burn injury attorneys will ensure your legal case runs smoothly and work hard to see you are compensated for your losses.
What Are the Different Causes of Burn Injuries?
In the United States, 46 percent of burn injuries are caused by fire or flame. Work-related accidents, motor vehicle accidents, electrical malfunctions and chemical spills are also often to blame. No matter the cause, an injury lawyer in San Luis Obispo can help you if your burn was caused by someone else’s negligence. Negligence means another party’s reckless or careless actions contributed to your injuries. If someone else is liable for your burn injury, you might consider taking them to court for both legal and monetary compensation.
You should always take care and try to avoid injuries, especially if working a more high-risk job involving chemicals or heavy machinery. However, injuries might still happen, even if you are not at work and pursuing a hobby or enjoying your leisure time. Common causes of burn injuries include:
- Chemical burns, thermal burns and sunburns (from exposure to chemicals, heated objects and prolonged exposure to sunlight)
- Fireworks (from setting them off carelessly or improperly or simply being at the wrong place at the wrong time)
- Inhalation (of smoke, which is the number one cause of deaths due to fire)
- Contact with fire or flame (when working with machinery, crafts, metal, cooking and so on)
What Are First, Second and Third-Degree Burns?
Commonly, the severity of a burn is measured as a first, second or third-degree burn:
- First-degree— skin appears red and swollen, and minor pain is present. First-degree burns generally do not require medical attention, unless the burn has affected a sensitive area, such as the face, groin or a major joint.
- Second-degree— skin appears intensely red and splotchy, and blisters develop. There is generally severe pain and swelling. If the burn covers more than three inches of your body, seek medical help.
- Third-degree— skin may appear charred black or white and dry. A third-degree burn penetrates all layers of the skin, causing permanent tissue damage. Your burn may be accompanied by additional symptoms, including a headache, numbness, a fever, faintness, weakness and rapid breathing. You may even sustain damage to muscles and bones.
Minor burns can be treated by submerging the affected area in cool water for 10 to 15 minutes. Then, you cover the burn with a sterile gauze bandage and take an over-the-counter pain reliever. Burns that are more serious require immediate professional medical attention. They could potentially lead to permanent disfigurement or scarring. If you suffer a major burn, then call 911 right away.
Let Your San Luis Obispo Burn Injury Lawyer Defend Your Rights
The San Luis Obispo personal injury lawyers at James McKiernan Lawyers have years of experience in negotiating and litigating a wide array of burn injury cases. Our San Luis Obispo burn injury attorneys use state of the art technology and the support of our case managers, assistants and professionals to build your case. Every case is unique, and we strive to put our knowledge and experience to good use in finding a creative solution for your particular situation.
Remember that as a burn injury victim you have legal rights. James McKiernan Lawyers fights to uphold and preserve those rights. Do not let insurance companies and negligent parties convince you to take a lowball settlement. We can help you obtain the highest judgment or settlement possible. Contact us today for a free initial consultation.