San Luis Obispo Rideshare Accident Lawyers
What Are My Options If I Am Injured in a Lyft or Uber Accident?
Our San Luis Obispo Rideshare Accident Lawyer Has Answers
As more people take advantage of ridesharing apps, we are starting to understand the risks involved with this young industry. Auto accidents, serious injuries and even assaults have become a real concern for anyone who uses services like Uber or Lyft. Even more disturbing is the difficulty many victims face when trying to recover damages for their losses and injuries. Due to these hardships, it has become essential to hire an attorney who knows the law when it comes to ridesharing. At James McKiernan Lawyers, we aim to provide that knowhow.
Our personal injury law firm has handled more than 20,000 personal injury claims over the course of 30 years. That experience allows our attorneys to handle odd and complex cases that other firms find too difficult to handle. Combine this experience with the unwavering commitment we provide to our clients, and you will understand what sets James McKiernan Lawyers apart from all the rest.
Why Is It Hard to File a Lawsuit Against a Rideshare Company?
If you have been injured in an accident involving an Uber or Lyft vehicle, it may be harder to recover damages than you realize. Both Uber and Lyft claim that their drivers are independent contractors, which limits their liability for accidents. That means rideshare accident survivors/victims usually have to rely on the driver’s personal insurance to recover damages. However, many consumer insurance policies don’t provide coverage to their drivers when they are using their vehicles in a commercial capacity. Thankfully, California lawmakers have taken legislative steps to keep these rideshare companies from escaping all responsibility.
Under California law, rideshare companies like Uber and Lyft must carry an insurance policy of up to $1 million dollars. These policies must cover wrongful deaths, personal injuries and property damages caused by their drivers, but they only take effect in certain situations.
How Does Rideshare Insurance Coverage Work?
There are four levels of insurance coverage when it comes to rideshare accidents:
- When the driver has not activated their rideshare app, they are only covered by their personal auto insurance policy.
- When the driver has the rideshare app on but has not accepted a rider, they are covered by the rideshare company’s liability insurance. These liability policies have different coverage levels based on which company is being used. For Uber and Lyft, bodily injury to a person is covered at $50,000; bodily injury to multiple people is covered at $100,000; and property damage is covered up to $25,000.
- When the driver has the app on and is en route to pick up a rider, they are covered by a $1 million insurance policy. For Uber and Lyft, coverage includes auto liability, uninsured/underinsured motorist coverage as well as a contingent collision and comprehensive policy.
- When the driver has the app on and is driving a rider to their destination, they continue to be covered by the $1 million policy until the passenger is dropped off.
So, if you are hurt in a collision involving a rideshare vehicle, you may be eligible for compensation. However, the circumstances of the crash play a significant role in the amount of compensation you could receive. Injury victims will also have to deal with insurance companies that may try to deny their claim or offer a low-ball settlement. An experienced rideshare accident lawyer can help you negotiate with these companies, which may result in a better settlement.
Are There Other Risks When Using a Ridesharing Service?
Another unforeseen risk of using services like Uber and Lyft involves personal security. Both ridesharing megacompanies run background checks on their drivers, but they do not take these checks far enough. When asked to increase their vetting measures for drivers, both companies replied that such measures could scare away potential drivers. Yet, they suffer no ill effects in the New York City and Houston markets. Both cities demand higher security measures when checking driver backgrounds, and Uber and Lyft complied. So, why do these companies refuse to toughen up screening measures in other areas of the country?
These lax security measures have resulted in several tragic cases of physical and sexual assault across the country. CNN has reported that around 120 rideshare drivers have sexually assaulted passengers over the past four years. Yet, Uber and Lyft have continued to avoid making significant changes to guarantee rider safety. Now, James McKiernan Lawyers has taken a stand for change. We have filed a class action lawsuit on behalf of a woman who was sexually assaulted by her Lyft driver after a night out. This deplorable crime needs to be answered for, and clear steps need to be taken to ensure that no one else suffers the pain and loss this woman has endured.
What Can Our San Luis Obispo Rideshare Accident Lawyer Do to Help?
Our qualified San Luis Obispo attorneys are ready to provide help to clients who need a rideshare accident lawyer. Here are examples of the Lyft or Uber issues that we are ready to help you with:
- Car accidents caused by Uber or Lyft drivers
- Car accidents involving an Uber or Lyft vehicle
- Injuries caused by an Uber or Lyft driver
- Injuries caused by the negligent behavior of an Uber or Lyft driver
- Assaults perpetrated by an Uber or Lyft driver
Our attorneys have the experience to handle the most difficult cases, and we are not afraid to stand tall for our clients. To learn more about what our law firm has to offer, call us at 800-200-HURT or fill out our online contact form.