Goleta Elder Abuse Lawyer
When the safety and well-being of your loved ones is in jeopardy, the Goleta elder abuse lawyers at James McKiernan Lawyers are here to help. When you place a parent, grandparent, friend or family member in an assisted-living or skilled-nursing facility, the last thing you expect is abuse or neglect. But some unscrupulous people may take advantage of someone you love, either financially, physically, sexually or mentally. If a loved one has been a victim of elder abuse or negligence, it’s time to take legal action.
Compassionate Goleta Elder Abuse Lawyers
As a resident of a nursing home, your loved one has certain legal rights. According to California law, caretakers must uphold residents’ rights to medical treatment, quality of life, privacy, visits, transfer, confidentiality, discharge, and freedom from restraint and abuse. Your loved one’s basic rights are:
Signs of Elder Abuse
The first step in stopping elder abuse is recognizing it.
When you visit your loved one in an assisted-living or skilled-nursing facility, check for the following signs of abuse:
- Bedsores — Check the skin areas of the feet, legs, buttocks, and back for red marks, soft spots, bruises or discolorations that could indicate developing bedsores, which may be a sign a bedridden patient has not been repositioned as often as medically required to avoid injury.
- Poor hygiene — Patients should be bathed often, have their teeth brushed, hair combed and clothing changed every day.
- Tension with caregivers — If a nurse, therapist, technician, doctor, aide or other caregiver appears hostile, neglectful, impatient or otherwise unfriendly, overworked or uncooperative, you may have reason to suspect abuse. Try visiting at different times to observe how well these people interact with your loved one, their patient.
- Physical injuries — Broken bones, bruises, welts, sprains, and dislocations could be the result of a fall or other preventable injury or even assault by a staff member.
- Changes in personality or behavior — A dramatic shift in behavior could signal mental, physical or sexual abuse.
- Weight loss — Sudden weight loss may be a sign of inadequate feeding or malnutrition.
Suspect financial activity — You may catch the facility or caregiver overcharging, charging for services not rendered or stealing money or possessions from the resident.
Don’t be afraid to be the voice of advocacy for your elderly loved one. If you suspect abuse, an elder abuse lawyer in Goleta can act as an advocate for the person you love. James McKiernan Lawyers has vast experience litigating nursing-home-abuse matters.
400 + 5 Star Reviews!
See for yourself what our clients have to say about working with us.
"James McKiernan and his employees did an excellent job on my father’s personal injury case. Excellent service from beginning to end."- Doug T.
"I take genuine pleasure in recommending the law firm, James McKiernan, to represent you or a loved one in a time of need."- Natatia G.
"5 Stars! Outstanding firm dedicated to “righting wrongs” for people in need!"- Charlie C.
"He is definitely the lawyer I would call and go with!!!!"- Monica H.
"Very professional, polite, efficient and most importantly he made sure I received full compensation, he communicated to me what the process would be."- Evette H.
"They were all very helpful, professional, and took care of everything while still keeping us updated about our case."- Starr A.
"They really worked to get me a great settlement on my case."- Adrian A.
"James McKiernan lawyers took care of everything, responded quickly, and took the time to explain things without complaint."- Aliyah F.
Why We're the Right Team for You
Your Case Is Important to Us!
400 + 5 Star ReviewsYou can count on our firm to treat each case with excellence.
Se Habla EspañolWork with a personal injury attorney who speaks your language.
Over $300 Million WonWe have a history of getting results for our clients.
Free ConsultationsGet started on your case with a free consultation today.