What to Look for in a New Auto Insurance Provider
Author: James McKiernan Lawyers
May 7th, 2018
If you have just purchased a brand-new car, or you are interested in switching your current auto insurance provider, you’re probably unsure where to start. There are so many different insurance companies to choose from, and each company will have a specific policy that may or may not work for your circumstances. It’s important to consider the various requirements and options for auto insurance and what each type of auto insurance can cover for you.
What Should I Consider for My New Auto Insurance?
– Find out your state’s minimum insurance requirements: To find the best auto insurance for you, start by determining how much coverage you need. Once you know your state’s requirements, you can decide if you need bodily injury liability, property damage liability, or another type of coverage.
– Research your own competing quotes from insurance websites: Do some shopping and get as many quotes as you can from various insurance companies so you have the best range of options to choose from.
– Review your new insurance in relation to your finances: Note the amount of coverage you have now and how much your current payments are. In order to get a figure to beat, write down the monthly and yearly cost of your insurance, since you will receive quotes both ways.
– Check your driving record: Know how many tickets you have recently received (and how long they have been on your record) by checking your state’s Department of Motor Vehicles. Wait until those tickets and points on your record have disappeared before you get your insurance quotes. A bad driving record will likely increase your insurance rates.
– Compare your current payments to your new policy: During your research, make price and coverage comparisons. Keep track of a few things in order to get the most information from both sides. This could include annual and monthly rates for the different types of coverage, the company’s contact information, and the company’s payment policy.
Once you’ve found the policy that’s right for you, read over the main points of the policy and finalize everything before you agree to accept it. If you were involved in a car accident in the middle of switching your policy, the attorneys at James McKiernan Lawyers can help you. Contact us today.