What To Do Following An Automobile Accident
If you are involved in an automobile accident due to someone else’s careless driving, you are not alone. Last year 4.4 million Americans were hurt and more than 38,000 were fatally injured on the roadways. As reported by the National Safety Council the three largest causes were alcohol (30.8%), speeding (30.0%), and distracted driving (26%).
Your actions following an accident can make a huge difference in terms of safe-guarding your right to maximum compensation for your losses. The team of San Luis Obispo automobile accident attorneys at James McKiernan Lawyers, with upwards of 40 years experience in personal injury cases, recommend the following :
Immediately following the incident:
- Check for obvious injuries and call for emergency medical help if warranted.
- Notify law enforcement. A police report is a “must-have” document. Do not allow the other driver to talk you into settling things on your own.
- Contact your insurance carrier. Do not, under any circumstances, speak to the other driver’s insurance company.
- Take pictures and/or video of everything. This includes all the vehicles involved, the surrounding areas and any obvious injuries you sustained.
- Be certain to secure all pertinent information from the other driver.
- Gather the other driver’s information and request a copy of the police report.
- Don’t talk to anyone about the accident, especially on social media.
- Never speculate about your physical condition.
- Refrain from saying “I’m sorry”.
It may take some time for injuries to present themselves. If you feel you need immediate attention, go to the closest hospital right away, then, always follow up with your personal physician.
After the incident
Keep a detailed record of any and all medical appointments, time missed from work and any sick time or wages you lost. Keep receipts for any out-of-pocket expenses. Remember that anything you say, to anyone, may be used against you. Do not post any details or comments about your accident or injuries on social media.
Once you are involved in an accident, it is always in your best interest to seek advice from a personal injury lawyer. The James McKiernan legal team has experienced personal injury attorneys standing by to assist you in the process of seeking reimbursement and compensation. Don’t wait, call us at 800-200-HURT. We are ready to help.