This summer has been one of the hottest summers for the state of California, and with this unbearable heat comes the sharp increase in wildfires throughout the state. Over the last few years, Cal Fire’s Fire Safety Education Programs have aimed to provide statewide education on fire safety. This education has been in the form of exhibits, posters, flyers, community meetings, radio and television spots, and even one-on-one contact with homeowners.
What Are Some General Fire Safety Tips?
Inside your home:
- Regularly check your smoke detector battery. Many fire-related fatalities occur inside the home because a smoke detector is no longer working. Replace the battery every year to ensure that you and your family will have fair warning when a fire erupts.
- Practice fire drills with your family. Inform your children that they should stay low when there’s heavy smoke in the house and to be careful with burning hot doorknobs. Your family should have a set fire escape route to ensure everyone gets out safely.
- Have multiple fire extinguishers in your home. Have a large extinguisher in your kitchen and have small extinguishers in easy-to-spot locations upstairs and in the living area near any fireplaces.
Outside your home:
- Create and maintain clearance around your home. Maintain 100 feet of “defensible space” when a wildfire begins. Also, make sure that your home is hardened with fire resistant building materials.
- Cut weeds and dry grass. During the fire season when the humidity outside drops and the winds pick up speed, fire hazards increase. Weeds and dry grass should be kept to a low level in order to prevent a quick spread in case of a fire.
- Follow appropriate guidelines for burning debris on your property. Always follow proper regulations for burning branches and other debris on your property. Also be cautious during campfires or while lighting fireworks.
If you would like more information on the California wildfires, or if you have been injured in a California fire, you should speak with a personal injury attorney. Contact James McKiernan Lawyers today for more information.
400 + 5 Star Reviews!
Chances are you’re here because you or someone close to you has been hurt. Your life has been turned upside down. The “it’ll never happen to me” mentality gets thrown out the window- No pun intended. And chances are you know someone who knows some lawyer who did a thing and blah blah blah. [READ MORE]
They handled my case involving a car accident. They’re extremely polite and professional. Any questions I had they addressed them immediately, I never had to wait for a reply. Everything about my experience with this firm has been the absolute best. I without a doubt recommend them [READ MORE]
5 Stars! Outstanding firm dedicated to “righting wrongs” for people in need! So glad I contacted [READ MORE]