You're just a few clicks away from meeting with our lawyers.
Truck Accident Attorneys in San Luis Obispo, CA
How Do I File a Claim After a Truck Accident?
James McKiernan Truck Accident Lawyers in San Luis Obispo Can Help You Through an 18-Wheeler Accident
When a semi truck collides with a regular passenger vehicle, the damage tends to be much more devastating than a typical car-versus-car accident. Due to their massive size and weight, trucks are more difficult to control and can easily cause serious injury and wrongful death if an accident does occur.
Factoring in other issues that come along with tractor-trailers, such as driver fatigue or faulty loading jobs, means that the truck driver and/or the trucking company are often to blame for these serious wrecks. However, commercial trucking companies may have vast resources at their disposal that they can use to fight even rightful claims.
Therefore, to protect your future and your finances, you should always consult qualified truck accident lawyers before you sign anything or file a lawsuit.
At James McKiernan Lawyers, our qualified team of truck accident attorneys have decades of experience representing truck accident claims. If you sustained serious injuries or lost a loved one in a trucking wreck, then we may be able to help. We can investigate your accident to determine all liable parties. Then, we can assist you in pursing compensation through all available avenues.
What Are Common Causes of Truck Accidents in San Luis Obispo?
Trucking accidents may happen for many reasons. In many cases, these accidents result from negligence by the driver or the trucking company that employs the driver. Common causes of truck accidents include:
- Driver fatigue: Federal law limits the number of hours that a commercial driver may spend behind the wheel. However, drivers may ignore these restrictions to make delivery deadlines or to take on more jobs. Additionally, trucking companies may pressure drivers to work longer hours or set unreasonable delivery deadlines.
- Driver inattention or distraction: Federal regulations prohibit truckers from texting and driving or using cell phones at all, except hands-free devices. Still, many drivers ignore these rules, which can cause deadly accidents. Drunk driving or driver intoxication. Truck drivers may be particularly prone to abuse stimulant drugs in order to stay awake on long drives.
- Drunk driving or driver intoxication: Truck drivers may be particularly prone to abuse stimulant drugs in order to stay awake on long drives.
- Improper truck or trailer maintenance: Lack of mandatory routine maintenance can cause dangerous malfunctions and accidents.
- Improper tire maintenance: Tire blowouts are a serious problem for commercial trucks; truck tires are routinely “retreaded,” a process in which new tire tread is added to old wheels. When done incorrectly, the retread may peel off at high speeds, causing the driver to lose control.
- Negligent driving in bad conditions: All drivers must slow down and adjust their driving to fit weather and road conditions. However, negligent truck drivers may fail to do so, especially if facing pressure from the trucking company to meet deadlines.
- Improperly loading: Negligence by the driver or other workers during the loading process can cause tractor trailers to jack-knife or tip off-balance on the road.
In most of these cases, the trucking company, truck driver, maintenance worker or even the municipality in charge of the highway may be to blame for a truck accident.
What Are Common Truck Accident Injuries?
Unfortunately, when involved in an accident with a vehicle as large as a tractor-trailer, drivers and passengers in other automobiles often sustain serious, life-changing or even deadly injuries. Our Santa Maria catastrophic injury lawyers commonly represent cases involving truck accident injuries like:
- Spinal cord injuries: These catastrophic injuries include herniated discs, bulging vertebrae and nerve compression. In many cases, a spine injury results in full or partial paralysis.
- Head and neck injuries: Trauma to the head and neck may result in brain injuries as well as whiplash, cervical damage and/or severe concussions. In the most serious cases, a traumatic brain injury may cause permanent impairment or wrongful death.
- Internal injuries: These include internal bleeding and organ damage.
- Broken bones: A truck accident may cause fractures, bone breaks and sprains. In truck accident cases, victims often sustain multiple broken bones and other injuries as well.
- Burns: Engine fires or explosions due to chemical cargo can cause extensive burn injuries.
- Fatalities: Often, truck accident injuries are extensive and sever enough to result in wrongful death.
Truck Wreck? Contact Our San Luis Obispo Truck Accident Attorneys Today
At James McKiernan Lawyers, we help find out who is at fault for your injuries or the loss of a loved one after a truck accident. We fight for your right to compensation and work to our utmost ability to secure the best outcome for your case. If you suffered an injury in a truck accident, then contact us for a free consultation with a San Luis Obispo personal injury attorney. We understand your pain and do what it takes to hold the responsible parties accountable.
Truck accidents can be devasting. Get your questions answered on our FAQ page and contact our San Luis Obispo experienced truck accident attorneys today.
Over $300,000,000 WON for Clients!
Recent Case Victories
$1.35 Million Dirt Bike Accident
Riding a dirt bike at a friend’s home on acreage, suffered life-threatening injuries when low hanging cable hit the rider in the neck. James McKiernan Law subbed in as new attorneys, found coverage, and settled for policy limits in 4 weeks.
$1.3 Million Car Accident
James McKiernan Lawyers settled our case for the policy limits of $1,000,000 against the driver and got another $300,000 from the passenger’s insurance company for a total settlement of $1,300,000.
$1.3 Million Off Road Vehicle Accident
Riding in the back seat of an off-road vehicle when the driver drove off a forest service road into a canyon resulting in severe injuries. Structured annuity resulting in tax-free payments to the client.