Common Property Issues Encountered in Apartment Living
Author: James McKiernan Lawyers
May 21st, 2018
There is a big difference between living in an apartment and living in a house. If you have experienced living in both of these real estate options, then you know that apartment living has some unique problems that can be challenging to solve. There are multiple parties involved in apartment disputes, like landlords, property managers, tenants, repairmen, and more. This complicates disputes even further, because each party involved in an apartment-related issue may be seeking different solutions. There are a few common complaints, however, that can happen in almost any apartment dispute.
- Deposit refund issues: Unfortunately, landlords will sometimes attempt to collect and keep a tenant’s deposits and refuse to distribute a refund. This type of complaint can also include charges against deposits and any other related deposit disputes.
- Bed bug/other pest infestations: Bed bug complaints are related to improper care and treatment of an apartment. Pest control is extremely important for an apartment’s maintenance, but it can sometimes be overlooked by property managers and landlords.
- Apartment repairs and maintenance: One of the most common complaints from tenants are neglected repairs. These repair problems can include broken appliances, carpeting, roofing, plumbing, heating and air conditioning, and more.
- Noise complaints: After quiet hours, tenants may raise complaints of excessive noise on their apartment floor or from their neighbors. Since walls can be thin in apartment buildings and units share walls, it can be expected for a tenant to be more sensitive to noises outside their units.
- Health and safety hazards: This is directly related to having apartment repairs that require fixing, so it’s important to know the health consequences of these neglected issues. Some examples may include damaged flooring, gas leaks, unsafe appliances, broken smoke alarms, and more.
- Breach of contract/agreement: There can also be a complaint referring to violations of lease agreements or apartment tenant’s rights or laws that were included in an agreement.