Safety Tips for Bicyclists in a Busy City
California has many heavily populated towns, and San Luis Obispo is a busy city for families and workers. Many working people choose to bike as their primary mode of transportation, especially through busy and heavily-trafficked cities. Bicycling is better for the environment than driving, and it also is a great form of exercise and cardio. If you are thinking about biking more and you want to know how to navigate your busy city streets, read on for these helpful safety tips for a bicyclist:
- Pass other cyclists on the far edge of the lane: Just like when you’re driving, you should pass other cyclists the same way: use the far left of the bike lane to pass others. If the bike lane is to the left of traffic, pass on the right.
- Lock your bike: Big cities have a bigger chance of theft, so it’s crucial to learn how to keep your bike safe from bike thieves. Buy a heavy-duty bike lock and secure your gear properly.
- Buy the right bike: Depending on where you live, you’ll need a suitable bike to take on the specific terrain you’ll be riding on. For city bikers, it’s best to purchase a simple single-speed bike. They’re lighter and require less maintenance, but if you live in a hilly city, you could go for a multi-speed bicycle.
- Know about any potholes or road damage on your route: Bicyclists need to be extra vigilant while riding through the city, because if you take your eyes off the road or space out for a second, you could run over a pothole or other road block and cause yourself serious injuries.
- Be cautious of pedestrians: Pedestrians are more aware of cars then bicycles because bicyclists are a much smaller visual target than cars, making them difficult to see, especially without aids like bright, reflective clothing. Be aware of any pedestrian jaywalkers that aren’t checking the bike lane before crossing; it will be up to you to swerve out of the way and also not hit any other cars, bicyclists or crossing pedestrians.
How to Avoid an Auto Accident in Dangerous Weather
If you’re a California resident, you know that you’re lucky to live in such a beautiful state. We are known for our sunny skies and pretty sights, but just like any other beautiful destination, we also experience inclement weather conditions. With bad weather comes an increase in vehicle accidents. Our San Luis Obispo auto accident lawyers know how scary it can be if you’re caught in a wildfire or flood while driving, so we would like to offer some helpful tips to help keep you safe:
For Driving Through a Wildfire
California residents are aware of the danger of wildfires, especially as a result of our recent changes in climate. Because of this, you might have to drive through or next to a wildfire, so it’s important to know how to navigate your vehicle through this safely. First, roll up your windows and turn off your air vents; inhaling any wildfire smoke can be damaging to your eyes and lungs. Next, turn on your headlights to increase visibility, especially if you’re surrounded by smoke. Low visibility is expected, so drive slowly to avoid a collision. If there’s fire approaching, turn around and drive your vehicle away if you can, or park behind a solid structure and keep low in your car. You could also exit your vehicle and run, although be warned: this can expose you to smoke inhalation injuries and wildfires can move very quickly.
For Driving Through a Flood or Heavy Rains
In early January of 2018, San Luis Obispo County experienced heavy rains and flooding that closed highways and local roads for a few days. With California’s rapid changes in climate, it’s crucial that residents remain vigilant and smart when they are caught in heavy rains. First, slow your vehicle down; the road will probably be slick and slippery, which will make it more difficult to brake properly. Next, increase the driving distance between your car and cars surrounding you. This will prevent any rear-end crashes and will allow for sudden stops. Turn on your headlights, keep your windshield wipers on, and approach busy intersections with caution.
If you and your family follow these tips, you will have a better chance of avoiding a car collision on dangerous road conditions due to bad weather. If you ever are injured in an auto accident, don’t hesitate to contact our attorneys for a free consultation.