The Troubling Facts About Bike Accidents in San Luis Obispo
California’s beautiful weather and awe-inspiring scenery encourage health-conscious cyclists to grab their bikes and enjoy the day. Unfortunately, California is the deadliest state in the U.S. for cyclists. Every year, approximately 113 Californians lose their lives in bike accidents. Many more cyclists are seriously injured in bike accidents in San Luis Obispo and throughout California. As cycling continues to grow in popularity, the number of accidents can only be expected to rise.
A Few Troubling Bicycle Accident Statistics
In 2014, some disturbing findings were reported by the Governors Highway Safety Association and the League of American Bicyclists.
- 40% of fatal bicycle accidents were caused when a motorist crashed into the bike from behind.
- In 11% of the accidents, a vehicle rammed the side of the bicycle.
- 42% of the drivers in bike/vehicle accidents were driving carelessly or while distracted.
- Perhaps the most shocking finding was that 36% of the accidents were hit and runs, leaving injured bikers lying alone on the road.
- 84% of cyclist fatalities were adults.
- 74% of cyclist fatalities were men.
Don’t Leave Your Helmet at Home
Under California law, everyone under 18 is required to wear a helmet when riding a bicycle. Adults can ride without wearing a helmet, but bike accidents in San Luis Obispo are always a possibility. Cyclists never win when hit by a multi-ton vehicle, especially when high speeds are involved.
- Head and brain injuries produce some of the most devastating and long-term consequences. Using a helmet reduces head injuries by 50%.
- Helmet use reduces injuries to the head, face, and neck by 33%.
- A majority of fatally injured cyclists were not wearing a helmet.
James McKiernan Lawyers are dedicated to protecting the rights of cyclists injured in bike accidents in San Luis Obispo. When a driver’s negligence leaves you in pain and needing medical care, don’t rely on fair treatment from the insurance companies.