How Can Motorcycle Skills and Safety Precautions Save Lives?
Santa Maria motorcycle accident lawyers see all kinds of accidents and work with clients to maximize their compensation as much as possible.
The more skills, knowledge and experience bikers have, the less likely they are to be involved in motorcycle accidents. The Motorcycle Safety Foundation (MSF) offers courses to teach new and experienced riders the motorcycle basics, tips about operating a bike and how to deal safely with hazardous conditions. You can learn how to ride a bike properly and understand the rules of the road. You can also find courses, such as the one Master Strategy Group has on the web, that train you how to regain control of your bike when dealing with hazards that make you lose control. This type of training can teach you to do things like the following:
- Automatically squeeze both levers when you lose control
- Move away from the center line to the side of the road when going up a hill in case a motorist appears in your lane suddenly and without warning
- Putting the most experienced motorcyclist in the drag position rather than the lead position when riding with a group
- Riding staggered so you have maneuvering room
Continuing to improve your riding skills and learning how to put safety precautions in place is an ongoing process for motorcyclists who wish to avoid accidents. In the event that you are in an accident, motorcycle accident lawyers in San Luis Obispo can help you deal with insurance companies and other liable parties.
James McKiernan Lawyers offers a free initial consultation and charges no fees unless we recover compensation on your behalf.
What are Contingency Fees for Injury Cases and How Do They Work?
Many people face financial hardship as a result of serious injuries resulting from accidents. Even when someone else is at fault for causing their injuries, they may think they cannot afford a lawyer. However, a Lompoc personal injury attorney takes cases based on contingency, which allows you to get legal help without having to pay money out-of-pocket to cover legal fees.
Contingency-based fees mean that lawyers get paid only when they are successful in recovering compensation on behalf of the client. They can recover compensation either through verdict or settlement. California Legal Ethics Rule 1.5:100 requires lawyers to charge reasonable fees and enter into a fee agreement with the client prior to providing services. Some of the factors that attorneys must base their fees on include:
- Fee amounts proportionate to the value of services rendered
- Fees relative to the sophistication of the attorney and the client
- The novelty and difficulty required to perform the service properly
- Results obtained
- Time and labor
- Informed client consent to the fee
When lawyers charge fees based on contingency, they carefully evaluate the case and their prospects of being successful ― otherwise they may end up not getting paid for their work. From your standpoint as a client, when a San Luis Obispo accident injury law firm agrees to represent you, you can be reassured that the firm is confident it can win your case or obtain a fair settlement.
James McKiernan Lawyers has a proven track record for handling injury cases and the selection of James McKiernan into the Million Dollar Advocates Forum indicates he has been successful in obtaining million dollar verdicts for some of his clients.
What are Some Common Types of Catastrophic Injuries?
Santa Maria catastrophic injury lawyers work with families whose loved ones suffer serious injury because of someone else’s wrongdoing or negligence. When others are at fault,California law allows injury victims to recover compensation to deal with medical costs and other expenses related to the injury.
An injury rises to the level of catastrophic when it permanently prevents the individual from doing any gainful work. Some common severe injuries that fall into the catastrophic injury category include:
- Traumatic brain injury. According to the Family Caregiver Alliance (FCA), every year about 300,000 people who suffer from traumatic brain injury (TBI) require hospitalization and 99,000 experience permanent disability.
- Spinal cord injury. The Foundation for Spinal Cord Injury Prevention, Care & Cure reports that there are approximately 12,000 new SCI cases every year. The number of individuals living with SCI in 2008 was about 259,000 persons.
- Amputation. TheNationalLimbLossInformationCenter indicated that approximately one out of every 200 people in theUnited States experiences amputation, totaling an estimated 1.7 million people with limb loss. Males are at a higher risk for amputations than women and amputations can occur as a result of accidents that cause serious injury, infection or disease.
- Extensive or deep burns. The American Burn Association reports that approximately 3,000 burn deaths occur every year from residential fires and 500 occur from causes such as occupational hazards, traffic accidents and other reasons. Overall, medical practitioners treat around 450,000 burn injuries a year.
Santa Maria injury attorneys can investigate the circumstances of your loved one’s or your catastrophic injury and determine the prospects of recovering compensation.
James McKiernan Lawyers provides excellent representation and has a successful track record for obtaining fair compensation for clients.