San Luis Obispo Injury Lawyers Who Get Results
James McKiernan Lawyers is a law firm of San Luis Obispo injury lawyers helping California automobile accident and injury victims recover compensation for their injuries due to the reckless, negligent or intentional misconduct of others. We are proud to serve the people of the Central Coast and to be able to help them recover the financial compensation they need and deserve when they have been hurt. We have recovered millions on behalf of injured Californians, and we will continue to fight through strong, effective negotiations and aggressive litigation when necessary to obtain positive results for our clients.
Your Right to Receive Compensation
If you are injured due to the negligence or wrongful misconduct of another, you may be entitled to compensation for the damages caused. Recoverable damages can include your present medical expenses as well as any future medical costs which you can reasonably calculate. Similarly, you may be able to recover lost wages for time you missed from work due to your injuries, including future lost wages if you are disabled from working or cannot return to the same type of job you had before the accident. You may also be entitled to compensation for your pain and suffering, emotional distress, or mental anguish. If the conduct of the defendant was more than just negligent and was especially reckless, outrageous or malicious, you may be entitled to punitive damages as well. Punitive damages are not tied to your particular injury but are meant to punish the defendant for unacceptable conduct and to serve as an example to others in society regarding what kind of behavior is simply not tolerated.
All of these damages are not automatically awarded to you, however. It is often necessary to seek the assistance of a personal injury attorney to file a lawsuit to force the defendant’s insurance company to deal with you seriously and offer a fair settlement. If a reasonable settlement cannot be reached, it may be necessary to litigate the matter in court. The burden in court is on the injured plaintiff to prove to the jury that the accident was the defendant’s fault, and to convince the jury to award the amount you are asking for. At the same time, the defendant, represented by a team of insurance company lawyers, will argue that the accident was not his or her fault. They may even claim that you were to blame in causing the accident or that your injuries are exaggerated or were caused in some other accident. Being able to prove your case while standing up to the defense’s claims and allegations requires a thorough knowledge of the law and skill in preparing and presenting a persuasive case in court.
Comprehensive Injury Attorneys Serving San Luis Obispo, CA
Our skill as Santa Maria personal injury attorneys comes in part from years of experience handling all types of personal injury matters. We have achieved successful results, including million dollar settlements and verdicts, across a wide range of injury-causing accidents. Our practice includes representing victims of serious injuries in all of the following types of cases, among others:
- Motor Vehicle Accidents – Helping victims of auto, truck, motorcycle, bus accidents and more recover compensation from negligent or reckless drivers. Experienced in complicated head injury and spinal cord injury cases, our auto accident lawyers are prepared to obtain maximum compensation for maximum recovery, care and independence
- Slip & Fall – In the unfortunate event of a slip and fall injury, we work hard to hold the property owner accountable for letting dangerous conditions go unrepaired and allowing an avoidable accident to happen
- Product Defects – We represent clients who have been injured by dangerous and defective products
- Assault and Battery – Intentional acts of violence are not only criminal, but these perpetrators can and should be held financially accountable for the damages and injuries they cause
- Elder Abuse – The most vulnerable among us often cannot speak up for themselves when abused or neglected, so we speak up for them
- Wrongful Death – When negligence or misconduct results in death, we help spouses, children and other family members deal with the costs and cope with their loss
Call Your Personal Injury Attorney Today
A personal injury accident can turn your life upside-down. Don’t let the stress and worry about paying your medical bills and supporting your family while you are out of work overwhelm you. Focus on getting better and taking care of your personal needs, and let us have the job of making sure you get the compensation you need and deserve. Contact James McKiernan Lawyers for a free consultation with a capable and experienced San Luis Obispo injury attorney. There is no fee unless and until we recover for you.